Monday, July 01, 2019

2019 Editor's Choice Award Winner Derek Hanebury


BANGKOK JEWEL
by Derek Hanebury

Taking a break from the sun and the great souvenir search, I unzip and stand
facing the urinal leaking two Thai teas I downed an hour ago
with a platter of khao phat Amerikan
when something shifts in the edge of my eye; 
remembering the green viper I watched yesterday
scale the plaster wall and coil into a hole above the door, I am relieved
to recognize a woman spidered onto the floor, spread out like an opened lotus,
her thin arm washing the polished cement with wide-circling swipes of a wet rag.
She keeps her head bowed to her work just as I keep my eyes forward now, observing
stippled plaster and wondering if she’ll wait for this white guy to finish his whizz before
she finishes her floor. I push a little harder when I see she is circling in my direction,
angling under the row of urinals, but those Thai teas were tall and my poor tourist’s bladder is
still stretched like a water balloon full to bursting. What can I do, but pretend she isn’t there on
the floor, halfway closer to me now that I can see the strands of grey in her dark hair,
the thin ropes of muscle braided through her tawny arm?

Mother? Grandmother? The dutiful Thai wife doomed to clean the floors of public bathrooms
while her husband hunkers down at the bar?
Just under the whish of my pissing, I hear it then, a whispering sound subtle and soothing
as water over sand, the words indistinguishable at first beneath the flowing water but growing
now that I tune in, her every outbreath singing it to herself:
Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Mani Padme Hum.
A Buddhist then, polishing the floor while chanting a mantra to scrub the illusions from her eyes,
not just cleaning a floor but scraping the sticky samskara off the Buddha self,
using every breath to find the jewel in the lotus. And I wonder how real I am to her now, or if I
even exist as she handmops the floor in slow circles; like ripples in a koi pond, she moves
towards my feet, my face flushing in the steaming Bangkok heat as the waves of her washing
edge the dust from one side of my sandals, the next pass skewing slightly to leave me marooned
on a small island of dry concrete,
surrounded by a tide of Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Mani Padme Hum;
not sure if my eyes are open or closed then, my exposed self awash in the mantra and the energy
of this bird-boned woman serving her Lord, turning the room into an ocean, into a temple,
with her Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Mani Padme Hum, until she is somewhere behind me, and
with a shudder and a shake,
I’m finally empty.
---------------------------
Derek Hanebury is a Canadian writer of poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction. His first book of poetry, Nocturnal Tonglen (Ekstasis), was released in 2006, and his second volume, Songs for Aging Children, will be forthcoming soon. His poems have also been published in numerous magazines and broadcasted on CBC radio. He has a Master’s Degree in Creative Writing from UBC and taught writing at North Island College on Vancouver Island until his retirement in 2017.

No comments: