Monday, June 09, 2008

Macrina Wiederkehr

I love the treasure of Sister Macrina Wiederkehr, OSB, author and spiritual guide. The sweetness of her life enhances the taste of what I drink from my own cup. Her gift is far too much to be captured in a short posting, but she sums up some of the jewels of her experience in a single paragraph....

These Things I Have Learned:
  • All work (even menial tasks) can become a joy rather than a burden.

  • “Practice” is one of the most important words in the spiritual life.

  • It is harmful to my soul to judge others.

  • All moments of waiting can become moments of keeping vigil.

  • The book of the earth is as holy as the book of scripture.

  • I am happiest when I am able to surrender my own will.

  • If I am not happy with what I have, I probably won’t be happier with more.

  • Even if I don’t agree with someone I can learn much by listening to them.

No comments: