Tuesday, January 26, 2010

what went well for you today?

Several weeks ago a friend of mine became ill, and during her diagnosis her doctor explained that her illness was caused by stress. This smart, savvy friend of mine set about to do everything she could to diminish stress in her life (she wanted to do whatever was held within her power), and one step she took was so beautiful that it would be wise for all of us to take it up as a practice.

My friend noticed that at the end of any given day she, and everyone around her, would ask the question, "How was your day?" She noticed that typically answers went in the direction of "Traffic was a bear today..." or "My boss was on my case again today..." She decided to change the direction of conversations by changing the question, and instead of asking "How was your day today?" she began to ask "What went well for you today?" This became a daily practice for her and her loved ones. The direction of conversations changed, the perspective on life changed, energy changed, and peace was enlarged.

And so I ask you...what went well for you today?


photography by permission
cindy lee jones

1 comment:

Macrina said...

What went well for me today is the vacated bird nest I spotted in a tree outside my window. It led led me into positive reflection rather than murmuring about what a grey day it was. If the sun had been brilliant I might not have even noticed the hidden nest. I love that question and will try it in our monastic dining room at the end of the day.