Thursday, April 30, 2015

First-Place Winner: "Soul Mate" by Ginna Wilkerson

Ginna Wilkerson has a Ph.D. in Creative Writing from University of Aberdeen. Her first poetry collection, Odd Remains, was released in 2013. Currently Ginna is making a transition from poetry to prose, working on mixed media art, and looking forward to residencies in Canada and Finland in 2015. Her work can be seen on her website at www.ginnawilkerson.weebly.com.


Soul Mate
by Ginna Wilkerson

She lives
underneath my closed eyelids,
in the bones of my fingers,
the curve of my elbow
and the soles of my feet.

She is five years old and thirteen,
seventeen and twenty-five,
thirty-three and forty-seven.

She knows why I named my doll Fingernail;
why I cried most days in eighth grade.
Why I thought  - for a week or a month -
that I wanted to marry a drummer
instead of going away to college.
She remembers how
I refused to leave the town I said I hated,
and move to the city
to dance on Broadway.
She still feels the agony of childbirth
and the complicated joy of motherhood.

She was in that pub
when I met a spell-weaving woman
who almost wrecked my world,
and she watched
as the love of my life
walked through a restaurant door
and into my world -
in that same hated small town.

I took Her with me when I fell in love,
moved on, and found satisfaction in living.

When I die,
she is the one who will rest in peace, 
soar away into spirit, 
and meld with the fabric of the universe. 

No comments: