Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Third-Place Winner (tied)


Third-place honors (tied) go to Iain Macdonald for his poem “Walking Meditation.” Born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland, Iain Macdonald has earned his bread and beer in a variety of ways, from factory hand to merchant marine officer. He currently lives in Arcata, California, where he works as a high school English teacher. His chapbooks Plotting the Course and Transit Report are published by March Street Press.












Walking Meditation
          by Iain Macdonald
 
My elderly mother
takes my arm,
leaning on me
for support
as we head uphill
toward home.
 
She moves 
very, very slowly,
and I find
I must focus
and breathe
for balance,
her every step
becoming mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


So this is how genetics really works.....
Very sweet, thank you for this poem.

movingclouds