Friday, June 30, 2017

2017 Editor's Choice Award--Liz Dolan

This year's Editor's Choice Award goes to Liz Dolan for her poem "The Humble Do Not Fear Failure." 

Liz Dolan’s first poetry collection, They Abide, was nominated for The Robert McGovern Prize, Ashland University. Her second, A Secret of Long Life, nominated for a Pushcart, has been published by Cave Moon Press. A nine-time Pushcart nominee and winner of Best of the Web, she was a finalist for Best of the Net 2014. She won The Nassau Prize for Nonfiction, 2011, and the same prize for fiction, 2015.


The Humble Do Not Fear Failure
by Liz Dolan                                                                                          
March
and I'm still
waiting for the amaryllis
on the sill to bloom
as it did last winter.

Another slender green stem
sprouts. Lovely so!
But not the golden goblet
of last year's  frosty gloom.

I've sprinkled stardust,
chanted psalms,
danced fandangos.

I've entreated
trees,
stones, 
whoever/whatever will listen.

I've even worshiped turtles, frogs, lit candles to tarantulas.

But the red-winged seraphs guffaw
clutch their sides
laugh at my pleas. “Stay on your knees,” they say.

What I force always fails.

Too late I've learned
to wait.

No comments: